July 3 to July 31, 2010 (28 nights)
For University of Shanghai for Science and Technology students
The University of North Dakota is now accepting applications for our third annual J-1 Summer Work/Travel Program. This 4-week program provides the opportunity for university students from around the world to experience life on an American campus, to live with American students in campus residence halls, to work part-time at UND for four weeks, to learn about U.S. customs and culture, and to improve oral English skills. With over 1,000 international students, scholars and dependents on campus, UND is well-prepared to meet the needs of our international visitors.
• Included in the Program Fee oAirport pick-up and drop-off to Grand Forks International Airport (GFK)
oDouble room in University Residence Halls (bath towels and bed linens included)
oThree meals a day in the UND student dining hall
oAccess to university computers, Library, Student Union, and Wellness Center
• Short term home-stays may be arranged according to interest, availability, and cost
• Work up to 25 hours per week in various jobs across campus oLibrary, Payroll, Dining Services, Housing, Registrar, Museum, Instructional Technology
• Receive U.S. Social Security card (necessary for employment in the U.S.)
• Earnings depend on hours you work (up to 25 hours per week allowed)oWages are $7.25 per hour
oReceive first pay check on July 30 for hours worked before July 15
oReceive second pay check by mail August 15 for hours worked through July 30§Therefore, you must bring enough spending money for your entire stay at UND, including personal expenses, meals on weekend trips, and shopping.
Studying Oral English
• 12 hours of intensive oral English instruction through our ELS Language Center on campus
• Optional UND class or lab visits in your academic area of interest
• Optional general information session on how to apply to American graduate schools
• All included in the Program Fees
• Three fieldtrips (all hotels, transportation, and entrance fees included in the Program Fee) oThree-day trip to Washington DC
oTwo-day trip to Minneapolis (Mall of America, Valley Fair, Albertville Outlet Mall)
oOne day trip to Itasca State Park and river tubing
• After the program ends on July 31, you may travel in the U.S. for up to 30 additional days on the same J-1 Work/Travel visa, but at your own expense.
UND Program Fees: Participants will pay US$2500 to UND to cover the activities and services described above, including full room and board in the university residence halls, 12 hours of intensive oral English classes, hotels, transportation and admission fees for three fieldtrips. The fee does not include air fare between China and Grand Forks International Airport (GFK). You must also pay for your meals in Washington DC and Minneapolis. If you do not receive your J-1 Work/Travel visa, you will receive a full refund of your $2500 check to UND.
AIPT Program Fees: Participants will also pay US$885 to AIPT for visa services. AIPT Experience USA® is an organization designated by the U.S. Department of State to sponsor foreign nationals in the United States under the J-1 Summer Work/Travel visa. AIPT provides all the documentation that enables you to apply for a J-1 exchange visitor visa and enter the United States to work legally for up to four months. AIPT is your J-1 visa sponsor and your DS-2019 issuer. AIPT also provides comprehensive medical insurance, income tax return services and advice, an international phone card, and 24-hour emergency hotline.There are two parts to the AIPT fee:
• US$850 ($750 refundable if cancelled before your J-1 visa is received. No refund possible after J-1 received. To receive a refund, you must return to AIPT all original documentation issued by AIPT, including the original DS-201.
• US$35 SEVIS fee (not refundable)
The application deadline is May 1, 2010 for receipt of all application materials.
1. USST Selection Process a. USST may nominate up to 12 students to participate in this summer program. Please see Professor Wang Hengshen for details about the selection process.
2. AIPT Visa Application Process a. Complete and send to AIPT: i. 4-page STUDENT APPLICATION-RESERVED form
ii. Resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the UND program
iii. Reference letter in English that includes an assessment of your basic English skills
iv. Copy of your current, valid passport data page
v. Letter from USST stating that you are currently enrolled full-time, are coming to the U.S. on your summer break, and that you plan to return to USST after the program.
vi. AIPT J-1 Visa Exchange Programs Fee Payment Form and check (see AIPT refund policy above).
b. Mail, fax, or email all AIPT documents and payment to:
Ms. Carol Kellam, Director
Experience USA Summer Work and Travel
10400 Little Patuxent Parkway, Suite 250
Columbia, MD 21044-3519 U.S.A.